Encouragement for the Journey
Greetings fellow traveller,
Welcome to another Kids N All, the theme for today is ‘Our Origins and Roots.’ There is an overlap with the theme from our Café Church last month when we explored ‘ Who are we?’ During that gathering Roxy introduced us to Celtic Christianity which is part of our DNA.
Celtic Christianity does have some rather distinctive aspects. I offer the following for your reflection:
- HOPE – looks for and seeks good in all, rather than evil in all things.
- EQUALITY – of women and men, clergy and laity
- MYSTERY – is at the heart of the Infinite One we name God, who cannot be fully comprehended or explained by us finite human beings.
- ENVIRONMENT – we humans are the stewards of all creation
- HOLISM – awareness of the sacred at the heart of all life and a refusal to compartmentalise life.
- IMMANENCE – God is present within and among all creation
The above are just some of the aspects of Celtic Christianity that warm my soul. Even a cursory glance at the above and you will notice that there is a holistic approach to spirituality. I have the following note in my resources, which expresses that the Celtic Spirit has something to offer us moderns in the 21st Century:
The movement offers a rich worship tradition; fosters prayer in everyday language; is ‘green’ in its stewardship of the earth; affirms women and men equally; is committed to living in community; nurtures radical discipleship; is passionate about peace and justice; has no divide between sacred and secular; engages critically with contemporary culture; is rooted in mission not maintenance. (Author Unknown)
We are richly blessed with this rich tradition in our heritage, in our origin and in our roots.